STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Sunday, August 3, 2014

Miniature Quilts by Students

It's high time I showed you my latest finish. Yes, it's taken me a while (too long) to get back at it and finish it off. I've been lured away from my machine by summer - day trips, gardening, picking raspberries, great nephew's ball games, etc. etc.  But the clock is ticking... how can it already be August?? It's time to get sewing again! I have a Miniatures class coming up this fall, so I've got to get
busy and get a few more new Minis done before then. But first I have several Miniatures from previous students to show you. It's only fair that I show you these first as they've been done for a while and the girls sent me these photos two months ago!  My apologies to Gloria T. and Anne M. for taking so long to post photos of their wonderful work. I taught a class for their Guild back in late April and shortly thereafter showed you two of Gloria's completed minis here and here.  Here is her third finish after my class. She calls it Neapolitan Trail. Once again, great job Gloria! It is 13" square and the blocks are 2.25".




Anne M. has finished up two Minis - the first one, Anvil, 8" square, is the piece she did in class. She followed my advice and started with a simple block with few seams for her first effort. The Anvil design is simply two four patches and two half square triangles, and she chose to use batiks- also a wise choice as batiks are tightly woven so one doesn't have to deal with the issue of fabric fraying on narrow seams. Lovely Anne!!



Anne's second miniature is a Log Cabin, 10" square - isn't it just darling? I love it! Log Cabin has always been my favourite block design. The blocks are 2" finished size, as are the Anvil blocks above. Anne also added a very narrow flat piping (red) between her two borders, another technique covered in my class. Well done, my dear! I hear she has another Miniature underway so I'm looking forward to a photo of it when it's done, and I'll be sure to share it with you too!

Next up - my finished Dove in the Window Mini...

Piece!
Linda

"Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our true potential." ~ Winston Churchill

4 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What beautiful details! I've always thought if I ever learned to quilt, I would make something small first. Happy Sunday my friend!

Karen said...

Impressive! I made a miniature log cabin one time so I know how tiny those strips are in Anne's quilt. They all look so tiny and perfect!

Pamela Gordon said...

Hi Linda, I got a break in my company and busyness to day and am reading a few blogs. I enjoyed seeing all the beautiful quilts you shared here from the Maine show. They are just stunning! Summer is passing so quickly isn't it? But, It's certainly been wonderful weather! Have a great August. Pam

Jeanna said...

Amazing minis Linda. They obviously have a great teacher :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...