STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Friday, May 15, 2015

Another Favourite Book.

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr, a Christmas gift, has been on my "To Read" list for a while, and the anticipation was not wasted. I thoroughly enjoyed every page; it is another of the "hard to put down" types! (You know, midnight - "Finally, I'm heading to bed and can't wait to resume reading..." 1a.m. "Just one more quick chapter." 1:30 a.m. "Well maybe just one more"... You know the type...   :) Actually the chapters are very short so that made putting it down and turning off the light that much harder. Some nights I just wish I could convince myself I don't need to sleep at all, so I could read all night. Tell me I'm not alone in this... lol
It is a beautifully written WWII story, historical fiction, one of my favourite genres. Doerr skillfully transports us to France and Germany with the storyline shifting back and forth between Marie-Laure, the blind young daughter of a master locksmith who works in a Paris museum, and a German orphan, Werner, who has a fascination for radios. He becomes quite adept at building and repairing radios and his skill earns him  a place at one of Hitler's brutal training academies for youth; before long he is involved in tracking the resistance...
When the Nazis move into Paris, Marie-Laure and her father escape to Normandy to seek refuge with
her great-uncle, a recluse who lives in the old walled section of St. Malo. Marie-Laure has no idea her father is carrying with him a treasure from the museum, a priceless diamond which has a legend of immortality...
I don't want to give away any more of this fascinating story, but no doubt you have figured out that eventually the two protaganists meet; Doerr skilfully weaves the two story threads together near the end. I hope I have told you enough to pique your interest; you won't be disappointed if you buy, beg or borrow this book. Doerr's writing is masterful, his command of the English language is admirable, the character development is wonderful, the description vivid.
5 stars from this book lover. I won't be at all surprised if this ends up being my favourite read of the year...

Peace,
Linda

"Some books you read. Some books you enjoy. But some books just swallow you up, heart and soul."
~ Joanne Harris

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Sounds interesting! This week I read a book by Peter May, "The black house", set on the island of Lewis off the coast of Scotland - a really good read, if you like mysteries.

sunny said...

I always look forward to your book reviews. Looks like a good one!.

Donna said...

Thank you the recommendation! My local library has ebooks available an I've placed my hold for a copy. But it could take several months before I can read it!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'll put this on my reading list. I am reading a good book called A Touch of Stardust by Kate Alcott that I think you would like! Happy reading! Hugs, Diane

MissesStitches said...

I read this too. It's awesome, isn't it.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I went back and looked for your review of this book. I found it at a book sale recently and I finished it...just a few minutes ago! OH MY! It's one of those stories that you will never forget! It really should be a book everyone reads....anyone over 16. I'm off to add it to my goodreads list. I just wanted you to know I read it and will give it 5 stars too! Hugs, Diane

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...